Before I go off and say something âbadâ about DJ Spooky, it must be said that he is the guy who turned me on to Amiri Barakaâs âBlack Dada Nihilismusââa spoken word piece that became a very creative Spooky remix that I am still unable to get (again) in MP3 format. This introduction to Amiri Baraka is very important to me. Sadly, no matter how many times I say what was important to me, my assumption is that DJ Spooky, being a âsensitiveâ American artist would be, âtuned outâ to any critique coming from meâsince it is clear that the value of my critique is not worth the paper most will not print this Blog post onâŠ
Yes, DJ Spooky is not just an artistâhe makes it editorially clear that he is a conceptual artist. And this means to me that the concept of Amiri Barkaâs spoken word revived and updated for the âyouth marketâ is a great idea from a great dude. So now, according to âSpooky ice,â the concept of DJ Spooky in Antarctica is also supposed to be great. These are the conceptual nuggets that I am supposed to grasp:
âIâm going offline for a while âcause Iâm shooting a film in Antarctica for the next couple of weeks. If you have a moment, check out the trailer for the film Iâm going to shoot there: every sound in the film will be made from the sound of ice (environmental, geological, magnetic, atmospheric etc). Iâm bringing a mini-studio with me to edit, shoot, and score the film. It headlines Sundanceâs Digital Film section this January.â
None of the concepts embedded in the ice above pique my interest. It must be because I am Blackâtherefore âlimited.â So here are some more embedded devices:
- Anything described as a âlarge scale multimedia performance workâ depends on the word âmultimediaâ being âcutting edgeâ and interestingâunless, of course, this is âestablishedâ curatorial jargon designed to speak to a rarified world of gallery owners.
- The trailer at djspooky.com does not have every sound âmade from the sound of iceâ unless this is a veiled racial epithet. At least the sound of whales under ice should have been used in âcreativeâ ways.
- âThe Antarctic Suite follows Millerâs highly acclaimed performance work DJ Spookyâs âRebirth of a Nationââ means that going to Antarctica is âproofâ that DJ Spooky is not âlimitedâ or âmiredâ in the âpolitical muckâ of âracial issues.â This is technique made famous by actors who are trying to avoid getting typecast. But for people often unwillingly described as âblack actorsâ there is a fine line between being typecast and racially stereotyped. I will assume that Paul D. Miller is actually and genuinely interested in freezing his ass off in Antarctica because it would be quite an extreme move just to prove some shit to people.
- From the artistâs statement we read, âAs the only uninhabited continent, Antarctica has no government and belongs to no country.â So you could call going to Antarctica âa Black thangââbecause this is how far a brother has to go to get away from Indo-European style of government colonizing the world overâŠ However, any rudimentary view at a map of Antarctica will reveal the various âclaimsâ made by European governments. So my attempt to see it as âa Black thangâ has to dropâbut hey, dude, itâs a âhuman thingââŠ Canât I just see something more âuniversalâ?
- Djspooky.com still does not have a news feed. This is just frickinâ annoying. But when a brother is working his ass off to go to Antarctica such technical minutiae surely is tertiary. And, by the mufukkinâ way, what the hell is going on with Blacktronica.com and Afrofuturism.net? Both of these âfuturisticâ sites seem abandoned in the past. This really disappoints me because my assumption is that Black people with advanced academic degrees presenting their organization online are really supposed to be kickinâ ass online.