Before I go off and say something ābadā about DJ Spooky, it must be said that he is the guy who turned me on to Amiri Barakaās āBlack Dada Nihilismusāāa spoken word piece that became a very creative Spooky remix that I am still unable to get (again) in MP3 format. This introduction to Amiri Baraka is very important to me. Sadly, no matter how many times I say what was important to me, my assumption is that DJ Spooky, being a āsensitiveā American artist would be, ātuned outā to any critique coming from meāsince it is clear that the value of my critique is not worth the paper most will not print this Blog post onā¦
Yes, DJ Spooky is not just an artistāhe makes it editorially clear that he is a conceptual artist. And this means to me that the concept of Amiri Barkaās spoken word revived and updated for the āyouth marketā is a great idea from a great dude. So now, according to āSpooky ice,ā the concept of DJ Spooky in Antarctica is also supposed to be great. These are the conceptual nuggets that I am supposed to grasp:
āIām going offline for a while ācause Iām shooting a film in Antarctica for the next couple of weeks. If you have a moment, check out the trailer for the film Iām going to shoot there: every sound in the film will be made from the sound of ice (environmental, geological, magnetic, atmospheric etc). Iām bringing a mini-studio with me to edit, shoot, and score the film. It headlines Sundanceās Digital Film section this January.ā
None of the concepts embedded in the ice above pique my interest. It must be because I am Blackātherefore ālimited.ā So here are some more embedded devices:
- Anything described as a ālarge scale multimedia performance workā depends on the word āmultimediaā being ācutting edgeā and interestingāunless, of course, this is āestablishedā curatorial jargon designed to speak to a rarified world of gallery owners.
- The trailer at djspooky.com does not have every sound āmade from the sound of iceā unless this is a veiled racial epithet. At least the sound of whales under ice should have been used in ācreativeā ways.
- āThe Antarctic Suite follows Millerās highly acclaimed performance work DJ Spookyās āRebirth of a Nationāā means that going to Antarctica is āproofā that DJ Spooky is not ālimitedā or āmiredā in the āpolitical muckā of āracial issues.ā This is technique made famous by actors who are trying to avoid getting typecast. But for people often unwillingly described as āblack actorsā there is a fine line between being typecast and racially stereotyped. I will assume that Paul D. Miller is actually and genuinely interested in freezing his ass off in Antarctica because it would be quite an extreme move just to prove some shit to people.
- From the artistās statement we read, āAs the only uninhabited continent, Antarctica has no government and belongs to no country.ā So you could call going to Antarctica āa Black thangāābecause this is how far a brother has to go to get away from Indo-European style of government colonizing the world overā¦ However, any rudimentary view at a map of Antarctica will reveal the various āclaimsā made by European governments. So my attempt to see it as āa Black thangā has to dropābut hey, dude, itās a āhuman thingāā¦ Canāt I just see something more āuniversalā?
- Djspooky.com still does not have a news feed. This is just frickinā annoying. But when a brother is working his ass off to go to Antarctica such technical minutiae surely is tertiary. And, by the mufukkinā way, what the hell is going on with Blacktronica.com and Afrofuturism.net? Both of these āfuturisticā sites seem abandoned in the past. This really disappoints me because my assumption is that Black people with advanced academic degrees presenting their organization online are really supposed to be kickinā ass online.